Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chopin and our Visitors from Poland

After the performance on May 15th, as we were serving the food a person from the audience said to me "Best concert ever! EVER!!!"   Later I realized she'd actually read my "review" of the April concert, and I'm sorry I didn't get the joke at the time, though she did emphasize it really was a great concert. There were enthusiastic cheers after the performance by Mr. Lewandowski of the Chopin piano pieces in the second half of the program, along with a heartfelt ovation and three encores.

I was chastised recently for being too effusive in my praise, to the point of being maudlin and even cloying, so I will try to be more subdued in my descriptions from now on. So instead, by way of illustration I will admit that during the second waltz I was embarrassed when I realized I was practically dancing in place as I stood at the back of the room (where I usually listen to all the concerts--the sound is amazing back there!). When I glanced over the audience to see if anyone had noticed, I realized nearly everyone was swaying to the music.

Chopin is indeed a composer much loved by many of us. I also heard from a few folks how much they were enjoying Mr. Lewandowski's CD which they purchased, including Jeanette Balins of A Taste of Europe Restaurant in Cobleskill, who makes the delicious treats we enjoy at each concert. (Did you have some of that incredible chocolate cake with the elderberry filling?) Jeanette said her grandmother was a concert pianist who studied at the school in Gdansk, where the two artists live and where Dr. Wujtewicz teaches. Chopin was her favorite composer and she played his compositions frequently, so Jeanette has especially fond memories hearing Chopin's work.

Such popularity makes it difficult to stand out when nearly every pianist includes his works in their repertoire. While I am clearly not a music critic, many of us in the room that day were quite enthralled with Mr. Lewandowski's performance, and I too am enjoying listening to his CD.

1 comment:

  1. My apologies for the delay in posting this; I saved it as a draft and only realized it was never posted when I came to work on my next segment.

    ReplyDelete